Oven-Fried Chicken with Salad
- 4 (6-oz.) chicken cutlets
- 1 1/2 cups lemon pepper panko (Japanese-style breadcrumbs) or plain breadcrumbs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tablespoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots (from 1 medium shallot)
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces Belgian endive (about 3 heads), diagonally sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 (5-oz.) package baby spring mix
- 4 ounces multicolored radishes (about 8 radishes), very thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and place a lightly greased wire rack on the baking sheet.
- Place chicken between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound each cutlet to 1⁄4-inch thickness using the at side of a meat mallet or small heavy skillet. Place one and 1⁄2 teaspoon of the salt in a large ziplock plastic freezer bag. Combine egg, water, and 1⁄2 teaspoon of the salt in a shallow dish. Place panko in a separate shallow dish. Place 1 cutlet in bag; seal bag, and shake to coat with our mixture. Dip floured cutlet in egg mixture; dredge in panko, pressing gently to coat cutlet completely, and place on wire rack. Repeat procedure with remaining cutlets. Coat cutlets with cooking spray. Bake in preheated oven until cutlets are golden brown and cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place shallots, capers, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, honey, and remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon salt in a food-processor or blender; pulse until combined, about 5 times. Add olive oil, and process until well blended.
- Combine Belgian endive, spring mix, and radishes in a medium bowl; toss with 3 tablespoons of the vinaigrette. Divide cutlets and salad evenly among 4 serving plates. Drizzle salads with remaining vinaigrette, if desired, and serve immediately.