·1 cup unsweetened applesauce
· 3 eggs
· 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup (or sub honey)
· 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
· 2 ½ cups packed fine blanched almond flour
· 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
· 1 teaspoon baking soda
· 1/4 teaspoon salt
· 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
· Optional: 1 tablespoon poppyseeds
· Optional: 1 tablespoon lemon zest
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 ½ x 4 ½ inch loaf pan with parchment paper. Spray the pan with nonstick cooking spray to prevent sticking.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the applesauce, eggs, pure maple syrup and almond extract until well combined. Add in the almond flour, flaxseed meal, baking soda and salt. Use a wooden spoon to combine. Fold in the blueberries.
3. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan, smoothing the top with a spatula. Bake for 45 minutes-1 hour or until the tester comes out clean in the middle of the bread. Cool bread for 10 minutes in the pan, then remove and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling completely. Once cool, cut into 12 slices. Top with butter and enjoy!
-Feel free to add in zest of 1 lemon for an infused lemon blueberry bread. You could also add a yummy lemon glaze from these lemon cookies on top.
-How to store blueberry bread: This healthy blueberry bread should be kept well-covered in foil or plastic wrap at room temperature for up to 3 days, then I recommend transferring to the fridge or freezer.
-How to freeze blueberry bread: This gluten free blueberry bread freezes well! Simply wrap in plastic, then tightly in foil and finally place in a reusable bag or freezer friendly bag for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature once you are ready to eat. You can also freeze individual slices for a quick on the go treat!