Slow Cooker Irish Beef Stew
- 1 ½-2 pounds stew meat beef or venison
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 14.9 ounce cans Guinness beer (or any dark chocolatey stout)
- 28 ounces beef broth
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6-7 carrots chopped *see notes
- 5 potatoes chopped *see notes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons butter if beef is extra fatty omit this
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ cup cool water
- Toss stew meat in flour and brown on all sides. Add beer and broth and bring to a boil. Transfer to slow cooker (unless your slow cooker is stovetop safe).
- Add onion, garlic (or garlic powder), carrots, potatoes, bay leaves and butter.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Whisk cornstarch and cool water together to form slurry. Whisk slurry into stew, boil for 2-3 minutes.